About the Sandcastle Classic:
This year marks the 35th annual year of the Sandcastle Classic on Ocean Beach, the biggest sandcastle competition in Northern California.
Teams of architects, engineers, contractors, designers, corporations, and local elementary school students work together to build giant sand sculptures. The funds raised by teams and sponsors make it possible for Leap to continue to provide arts programs to Bay Area students.
- Thousands of people attend Leap’s annual Sandcastle Classic, which is free to the community.
- The event is covered by regional print and online media, and celebrity judges evaluate the final sand sculptures.
- More than 25 local schools and 300 donating companies and advertisers participate.
- In 2016, the top team raised over $49,696.
- This year, we’re accepting a maximum of 30 teams. Sign up early to reserve your spot!
About the Leap Arts in Education:
- Creativity, entrepreneurialism, and inventiveness
- Critical thinking and cognitive skills
- Ability to set goals, experiment, solve problems and learn from mistakes
- Acceptance of diversity and differing viewpoints
- Ability to work collaboratively
Past Media Coverage:
2016 Event coverage
- SF Gate – Massive sandcastles make a splash at annual Ocean Beach competition
- Hoodline – Scenes From Saturday’s 34th Annual Leap Sandcastle Classic
- Kron 4 – 34th-annual Leap Sand Castle Competition held at San Francisco’s Ocean Beach
- Richmond Blog – Saturday: LEAP’s 34th annual Sandcastle Contest on Ocean Beach
7×7 – Free Breakfast Burritos, Vintage Fashion Faire + More Fun Events (3rd listing of cool things to check out)
2015 SF Bay News Coverage: “Sandcastles soak up Ocean Beach spotlight”
2014 SF Bay News Coverage: “Shining sun spawns scrumptious sandcastles”
Past Sandcastle Classic Themes & Photos:
2017 – Castles, Castles, Castles!
2016 – Makers & Movers
2015 – Sand Cinema
2014 – Food, Glorious Food
2013 – Masterpieces in Sand
2012 – Leap Year (Things That Jump!)
2011 – Sandblast
2010 – ‘Sand’ Francisco
2009 – Stories in the Sand: Classic Children’s Books
2008 – Freestyle
2007 – Nature Rocks
2006 – Leap Around the World
2005 – Comic Book Adventures
2004 – A Race to the Finish
2003 – Extreme Sandsculptures
2002 – Westward Ho!
2001 – A Sand Odyssey
2000 – Sandcastles from the 1st to the 21st Century
1999 – Animals
1998 – Bridges
1997 – Education
1984 – 1996 – Leap Sandcastle Classic
1983 – The FIRST Leap Sandcastle Classic!
Take a look at photos from previous years on Leap’s Flickr page
Help us trace the history of the Sandcastle Classic event!
Did you participate in a past Sandcastle Classic event and have theme info or photos you’d like to share? Email us at email@example.com so we can add it here!