About Leap | Arts in Education:
Leap was established in 1979 in response to severe budget cuts in arts programs in California schools. These cuts continue to affect arts education in our schools today, and the need for high-quality arts programs is now greater than ever. Leap’s programs place professional teaching artists in classrooms to work with grades K-5. Every year, these educational programs—in music, dance, theatre, creative writing, visual arts, and architecture—serve over 7,000 students in more than 25 elementary schools throughout the Bay Area.
Leap’s goal is to raise $300,000 from this year’s Sandcastle Classic to help provide high-quality arts education programs.
Your participation will make a meaningful difference
in the lives of Bay Area students!
Through Leap’s extended arts residencies, children build skills that are conducive to success in 21st-century skills:
- Creativity, entrepreneurialism and inventiveness
- Critical thinking and cognitive skills
- Ability to set goals, experiment, solve problems and learn from mistakes
- Acceptance of diversity and differing viewpoints
- Ability to work collaboratively
Learn more about Leap at www.leaparts.org. Join us by becoming a Sandcastle Classic team or Event Sponsor today!
About the Sandcastle Classic:
This year marks the 35th annual year of the Sandcastle Classic, the biggest sandcastle competition in Northern California.
Teams typically comprised of architects, engineers, contractors, designers, corporations, and local elementary school students work together to build giant sand sculptures. The funds raised by teams and sponsors make it possible for Leap to continue to provide arts programs to Bay Area students.
- Thousands of people attend Leap’s annual Sandcastle Classic, which is free to the community.
- The event is covered by regional print and online media, and celebrity judges evaluate the final sand sculptures.
- More than 25 local schools and 300 donating companies and advertisers participate.
- In 2016, the top team raised over $49,000.
- This year, we’re accepting a maximum of 30 teams. Sign up early to reserve your spot!
Leap Sandcastle Committee 2016:
Executive Director, Leap
McCarthy Building Companies, Inc
Lindsey A, Moder
Siegel & Strain Architects
Emma O’Connor Brooks
Christiani Johnson Architects
Operations Director, Leap
Founder & Lead Event Producer, Make It Mariko Events